AmigaActive (1557/2143)

From:tim
Date:24 May 2000 at 11:33:29
Subject:Re: A few old Amiga games...

Hi Kevin

> >> One of the Panasonic PC drives can be converted to work. It
>
> > Yes, but it's easier and probably cheaper to get a brand new Amiga
> > drive from Ramjam Consultants ;-)
>
> Ah yes, but they won't read HD disks, will they?

Only if they're formatted as DD ;-P

> Nice try, Tim ;))

Actually, unless you build some fairly interesting buffer circuitry
(as used in the Power HD drives) there is no reliable way to convert
a PC drive to work as HD on the Amiga. Attempting to halve the motor
speed introduces variances which mean that even if a disk can be
read on the drive that wrote it, it can't be read on other drives.
>From what I've heard even reading them on the same drive is rather
erratic.

A more reliable, if less convenient and portable, way to get more data
on a floppy is to use compression.

Tim

Find long lost high school friends: